(May 11, 2021) Off-highway Vehicle Use in Trenton


Re: Off-highway Vehicle (OHV) Use

In the springtime, when the ground begins to thaw and becomes soft, use of off-highway vehicles can create visible damage to trails (as seen in the photo below). Unfortunately, when off-highway vehicles use trails unintended for such use, there can also be damage to vegetation, increased runoff, soil erosion, and degradation of water quality.
Per the Off-highway Vehicles Act. R.S., c. 323, s. 1.:
Permission of owner or occupier
14 (1) No person shall operate an off-highway vehicle on a sidewalk, walkway, school grounds, utility service lane, cultivated land, private forest land, campground, golf course, park, playground or any private property, without the written permission of the owner or occupier.
The Act is available in full online: Off-highway Vehicle Act 
What does this mean?
In short, the Town does not permit the use of off-highway vehicles (OHV) on any Town-owned lands including trails or within Trenton Park. You are not allowed to use off-highway vehicles on any lands which you do not own, and you do not have written permission from the property owner to be on their lands with your off-highway vehicle.
What if there are no signs stating OHV are not permitted?
Signage is not required as the Town does not have any lands where off-highway vehicles are permitted. If you do not have written permission from a property owner, you are not permitted to be on their lands with an off-highway vehicle. This is the law.
What should I do if someone is using an OHV on my land without my permission?
If you find someone using their OHV on your land without your permission and wish to make a complaint, please contact the New Glasgow Regional Police Non-Emergency Line at 902-752-1941.
What should I do if I see someone using an OHV on Town-owned land or property other than my own?
If you find someone using their OHV on Town-owned land or property other than your own and wish to make a complaint, please contact the Town of Trenton at 902-752-5311.
What should I do if I find damage on Town-owned land (including trails) caused by an OHV?
Please report any damage found to the Town of Trenton by calling 902-752-5311.
For a breakdown of Provincial Rules and Regulations regarding Off-highway Vehicle use, visit:

2021 Property Assessment Notices

2021 property assessment notices have been mailed by Property Valuation Services Corporation (PVSC). To talk to an assessor, please call 1-800-380-7775, Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm or email

Did you know you can find more information about your 2021 property assessment online?

Log into My Property Report at www.pvsc.ca with the Assessment Account Number (AAN) and PIN on your 2021 Assessment Notice.

Residential Lead Sampling

As part of Health Canada’s efforts to reduce lead concentrations in drinking water, municipalities are now conducting lead sampling in residentials homes. The Town of Trenton is seeking the participation of 22 homeowners who suspect they may have a lead service line, lead soldering in their plumbing, or lead fixtures, and would like their water tested. Trenton’s water distribution system continuously meets the Health Canada Guidelines for lead in drinking water. However, some houses are known to have lead piping, soldering, and fixtures, which can contribute to increased lead concentrations in drinking water. Sampling will involve collecting a 1L sample of water after a period of 6 hours where no water has been used. Sampling will be conducted once annually during the warmest months, with the possibility of increased sampling depending on the results. If more than 22 residents request to be part of the study, the Town’s Water Works Dept. will choose 22 residential homes which best represent the focus of the study. The resident’s chosen will be contacted, and informed when sampling can begin. Sampling bottles will be supplied by the Town of Trenton. For more information, or to sign up, please contact:

Dan Campbell
Director of Water Works
Tel: 902-752-1450

Canada-Nova Scotia Targeted Housing Benefit (CNSTHB)

Are you a low-income homeowner?

Do you spend more than 50 percent of your income to run your home?

Direct support is available for eligible homeowners through the Canada-Nova Scotia Targeted Housing Benefit. Working together, we are making housing more affordable for vulnerable people. 

For more information visit: HousingNS.ca


Or call: (902) 943-0835

REMO Pictou County Notice


From the Office of Regional Emergency Management Office - Pictou County Coordinator John Davision

Situation: Province of Nova Scotia has declared a State of Emergency
Public Information Release
March 23, 2020 11:00a.m.

Do not call 911 to report individuals who are not self-isolating or social distancing. 911 is for emergency or life-threatening situations only. #COVID19NS. Here is a list of policing agencies in your area.

Police Non-Emergency phone numbers -Pictou County Policing Agencies

New Glasgow Regional Police
225 Park Street
New Glasgow, Nova Scotia
B2H 5B7
Emergency 911
24 Hour Non-Emergency Number (902) 752-1941

Pictou County District RCMP
Stellarton Detachment
177 North Foord Street
Stellarton, Nova Scotia
B0K 0A2
Emergency 911
24 Hour Non-Emergency Number (902) 755-4141

Pictou Detachment
Caladh Avenue
Pictou, Nova Scotia
B0K 1H0
Emergency 911
24 Hour Non-Emergency Number (902) 485-4333

Westville Police
2020 Queen Street
Westville, Nova Scotia
B0K 2A0
Emergency 911
24 Hour Non-Emergency Number (902) 396-2777

Stellarton Police
250 S Foord Street
Stellarton, Nova Scotia
B0K 1S0
Emergency 911
24 Hour Non-Emergency Number (902) 752-6160

More Articles ...

  1. Do Not Flush Wipes